Monday, April 8, 2013

Paris - Day 3 - Eiffel Tower & Riverboats

At long last I move on to Day 3 - also known as our last full day in Paris (try to contain your joy at this news; day 2 couldn't have lasted forever, after all). This time around we had breakfast at a cafe around the corner from our hostel and then headed into the city. Our first stop was heading back to Notre Dame where I finally managed to get my mom's rosary beads. Because I am nothing if not persistant. Go me.


We made our way back to the Eiffel Tower. Here we had a bit of a good news/bad news scenario. The good news was that we got a reduced rate - only €4 each - on account of my disability. The bad news was because of my hip, the Eiffel Tower's insurance (or what have you) wouldn't extend to cover me going straight to the top; in the even of an emergency, they couldn't guarantee my being able to make it down the nearly two thousand steps. Consequently, I (and thus my companions, Christa and her mom) could only go as high as the first deck. It was a bit of a bummer but...I got to go to the Eiffel Tower and see Paris from its first deck. That's pretty awesome enough.


The Eiffel Tower is right on the shore of the Seine, so right after taking in the sights of Paris from on high, we opted to head to the water. We took a boat cruise from the Eiffel Tower down past Notre Dame and back again. Because, you know, like a lot of European cities, Paris was built on the shores of its river, like London and the Thames or Berlin and the Spree or Rome and the Tiber...you get the idea. Old cities like rivers - made transport and travel easier. I digress...


My point here is that EVERYTHING borders the river, so it was pretty awesome going down the river and seeing what there was to see while a pre-programmed voice gave the historical highlights of this and that.

The cruise took about an hour and afterward the goal was to see the Musée d'Orsay. First, however, we needed to feed Christa. Do you know what Paris has a shocking lack of? Fast food. Seriously, finding something quick to eat in Paris borders on the impossible - there's bot so much as a delicatessen as far as the eye can see. It's sad really. And annoying. Ended up at an overpriced cafe eating a pretty gross beef sandwich. Yuck.



Which brings us to the Musee d'Orsay. Which, like the Louvre, requires its own post. Standby...

No comments:

Post a Comment