Monday, October 1, 2012

First Day

I just returned from my first day out in the field, so to speak. I woke up at 6:00AM this morning (stop laughing – I really did) and then sat about waiting for 7:30 when I was supposed to call either of my consultants to be sure they knew I was most definitely in play (their suggestion – I’m not overeager…okay, I am, but not that obviously.) Sean told me to sit tight and he was sure he’d have something for me soon. Half hour later, he called back to tell me and set me off to my first job. And I only got lost twice (the first time because there weren’t any street signs and the second time because Sean’s direction stopped a turn too soon)!


Today, I was a teaching assistant in a Year 4 (…they were eight and nine years old, make of that what you will) class. Basically, I had one student as my charge and had the opportunity to watch a legitimate veteran classroom teacher and get a feel for how to go about things when my turn as the classroom teacher comes (hopefully tomorrow). There were a lot of students in the class and my charge had the attention span of a goldfish on a sugar rush. There was Literacy first thing which focused on conjunctives (called “connectives” here) and how to writing the beginning of a story. Recess was next followed by Math (they drew shapes) and Music (they learned to beat specific rhythms on drums). At lunch (which was boring) a chunk of students got hot meals as the gym was turned into something of impromptu cafeteria. The day ended with Technology (they made Power Point about the various systems in the body) and Art (they made collages of their dreams).

And, yup, that was my first day. Not much to report, really. Altogether it was something of a letdown but I think that it provided a great opportunity for observation that I’m positive will be of great benefit and advantage in days to come.

In the meanwhile, its back to anxiety and nervousness as I wait for tomorrow and (hopefully) my first turn in the driver’s seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment